I like recipes which take the best out of all ingredients and I dislike wastes.
All recipes I have introduced so far reflect this preference of mine in cooking. Today, I was given 10 beautiful fresh whole prawns from a friend who has recently moved from HK to England. I chose to make this paella which brings the best of prawns in my opinion because all juices from the prawns are put back in the cooking pot. It is a mess-free and quick dish as well.
The high fiber content of konjac has many health benefits. Soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol and blood glucose level. It may also help regulates bowl movements which also reduce hemorrhoids and diverticular diseases. However, if you are not used to high fiber diet, you may feel uncomfortable with bloated stomach and associated symptoms. So, I recommend the mix of 80% long grain rice and 20% konjac. You may not notice konjac but it locks in the flavour of the stock. It also adds shine and firm texture to the rice.
Serves 3-4, Easy
Cooking time: 25 minutes plus 10 minutes resting.
Good for Pescatarians
10 fresh whole prawns
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion chopped finely
1 red bell pepper finely sliced
2 garlic cloves minced
50g chorizo chopped in small dices (optional)
2 tsp saffron
200g basmati rice
50g Yu&Mi konnyaku (konjac) rice style
400g tin of tomato chopped roughly
350ml stock - the liquid after boiling the prawns
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil half little of water in a pan. Put the prawns and shimmer for 2 minutes. Take out the prawns using a slotted spoon. Keep the liquid warm. Take off the heads and the shells of 4 prawns.
- Heat the oil in a wok. Fry the onions and the garlic for a few minutes then add the peppers and chorizo (optional.)
- Add the rice, the konjac rice and the saffron and keep frying for a minute.
- Add the tomato and about 250ml of the stock. If the ingredients are not covered in the liquid, add more stock.
- Gently cook with a lid on for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and rest for 10 minutes. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and serve.